I will preface this entry by saying that I love Asian flavors.
While I like your typical roasted chicken seasoned with sage, thyme, bay and the like, I occasionally like to kick it up a notch. 2 nights ago I made a chicken in my handy, dandy dutch oven (mainly because that sucker was too big to fit into a crockpot) and seasoned it with Chinese 5 Spice and Kosher Salt. Nothing too fancy but oh-so-delicious. CiBaby even gobbled it up! She eats everything you say? Almost...it's hard to get meat in her, it's a texture thing.
Today, from our unconventional chicken I made unconventional chicken soup and boy-oh-boy was it DELISH! Like any stock making I covered the bones with the rest of a can of chicken broth and then water to finish it off. Then to the broth I added 1 onion, about 1/4 cup soy sauce, a couple tablespoons Mirin and a 2-inch chunk fresh ginger (sliced). I let it simmer for about an hour. Cool and strain.
Added to the broth was chunks of golden beets (T-Daddy asked if it was pineapple...hmmm, no), parsnips, and carrots. Let those simmer until tender, remove from heat then added chicken (of course), sliced mushrooms, 2 cubes of Trader Joe's cilantro (from the freezer section - this is a great product!!!) and about 1 tablespoon sesame oil (have I mentioned that this is one of my favorite condiments???). I made some noodles separately which I added to each bowl, so they don't get mushy.
Paired with some hot bread it was mmmm mmmm mmmmmm mmm Good! All I have to say is Campbell's has nothin' on me.
Tomorrow's adventure in this frozen tundra is to make some homemade spaghetti sauce, no Asian flavors here.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment