Every year at the farmer's market I'm on the lookout for old favorites and new tasty delights. Last year I discovered sweet potato leaves at a particular Asian vendor, he had a table loaded with them. We got talking about them and I decided to give them a shot, heck it was only $1 for a big bundle and I'm an adventurous cook.*
I brought them home and came up with a new stir-fry dish. To say T-Daddy was a little skeptical, is toning it down (he's not big into cooked greens). To his, and my, delight they were WONDERFUL!!! So much so we bought many bunches last summer and today he requested I pick some up. To my udder dismay, no stand in the market had any. I talked with one very nice young Chinese woman and she told me they were selling out of them early every day this summer**. WHAT?!?! It was only 9 AM. One woman had come by and bought 20 bunches and cleaned her out. hmph. Teaches me to open my big mouth about these! I was telling everyone how wonderful they were last summer...shhhh, you didn't hear it from me.
To make your own lovely stir-fry, try this out...
CzaMama's Sweet Potato Leaf Stir-fry with Chicken
1 lb chicken breast
corn starch (or arrow root if you're allergic to corn, like I am)
2 Tbsp oil(your choice, I used peanut)
sesame oil
2 tsp Chinese 5 Spice
Cut chicken into bit size pieces and place in bowl. Add enough corn starch to coat. Heat a large skillet or wok until hot, then add oil and a few drops of sesame oil, for flavor. The oil should ripple, indicating it's hot. Gently lay coated chicken into the pan, sprinkle with Chinese 5 Spice. Let cook half way (it should lift easily out of the pan) and then flip it to finish. Once cooked, put into a bowl and set aside.
3 small or 2 large leeks, sliced into small pieces
1 small bundle sweet potato leaves, removed from stems, washed and drained
2 tsp oil
sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1-2 tsp sea or kosher salt
In same skillet/wok, if necessary, add a bit more oil and leek. Saute until tender. Remove from pan and add to chicken bowl. Add sweet potato leaves to the skillet, it will be a huge pile, but it wilts down. Sprinkle oils and soy sauce on top of leaves and add salt. Stir occasionally. It will only take a couple minutes. When wilted down, but not soggy, add chicken and leek back in to heat. Add more Chinese 5 Spice, soy sauce*** and salt to taste.
Serve over steamed rice.
Enjoy!
*To be sure the leaves you're eating are edible, I highly encourage you to buy them from a farmer and not pick them from your own garden...unless you really know your plants.
**I'm going back tomorrow to get my sweet potato leaves...early!
***We added the additional soy sauce once we put it over the rice.
Saturday, August 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment