Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Meal from the garden

Call me cheap, thrifty, what-have-you, but there's nothing better than walking out to your garden and finding a meal at hand...that is unless you're going to take me out for a nice dinner.

Tonight we had just that. First, CiBaby and I gathered up 11 large slicing cucumbers (shared 2 with our neighbor CeCe) and a few Egyptian Walking Onions, we added that to a bunch of heirloom tomatoes and a couple of French round zucchini harvested during the past couple of days and voila...dinner!

The zucchini and onions were turned into Too-Cheap-to-buy-Crab Cakes (a.k.a. Mock Crab Cakes*). If you have not tried these yet, I encourage you to do so with the ever plentiful zucchini your neighbors pawn off on you. They're awesome, you'll even fool your friends and family...that is unless they see the green, but whatever.



Too-Cheap-to-buy-Crab Cakes

2 cups coarsely grated zucchini, unpeeled
(squeeze out as much liquid as you can)

1 onion, finely chopped or grated

1 cup Italian bread crumbs
(or 1/2 Italian, 1/2 plain or Panko - which I love)

1 tablespoon mayo

1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning

1 egg, beaten

Combine all ingredients. Adjust texture if necessary;
too dry, add more egg; too wet, add more bread crumbs.

Heat oil (I like Extra Virgin olive oil for these) in a skillet.
Form mixture into thin patties and fry over medium heat for
2-4 minutes per side, you want a little browning going on,
so it might take longer.


The cakes were served with fresh cucumber slices and tomatoes sprinkled with natural smoked sea salt**.

DELISH I tell you. CiBaby and Big Sister even gave the 2-thumbs-up, pass-more-this-way-please approval!

*I by no means made up this recipe myselves, I just have a need to share it with the masses!
**Obtained at the Golden Fig. They have a wonderful selection of locally made, interesting food products.

4 comments:

Aiden and Grant's Mommy said...

OMG. I'm making those! They sound scrumptious!

PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

Sound fantastic! Unfortunately, the fruits of our garden were not as boutiful this year - I hear there was too much rain. But I has some store-bought zucchini in the fridge that are crying out to be made into those crabless crab cakes!

Clare said...

make me more, please! Yum Yum!

Anonymous said...

We made them for dinner tonight and they were great! thank you!