I'm the queen of impromptu meals.* I have always wanted to be a planner, but it just doesn't seem to be in my nature. Tonight I made the most delicious Sesame Pork (I suppose you could use chicken too). I had been craving some really good sesame pork for awhile. It seems like most Chinese restaurants only have the batter dipped and fried stuff, and I wanted something more...something better.**
Everyone in our little household thought it something great. So here you go.
Sesame Pork - Serves 4
2 boneless pork chops, cut into 1 inch cubes
Arrowroot or cornstarch, to coat
4 carrots, peeled (or if you can't find the peeler at that very moment, just scrubbed) and cut diagonally into ¼ inch slices
2 Tbsp peanut oil (or whatever you tend to use, I like peanut oil for Chinese food)
Sauté pork in oil for 4-5 minutes, turning once. Add carrots and cook another 3-4 minutes or until tender but not soft. Add sauce to combine.
¼ cup dry-toasted white sesame seeds
Sauce
1/4 cup Shao Xing Cooking wine
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 ½ Tbsp arrowroot dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
1 tsp sesame oil
In a small saucepan on med-low heat, add Shao Xing, soy sauce and rice vinegar, bring to a slight simmer. Add in arrowroot/water combo and combine and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in sesame oil and remove from heat.
Serve over steamed rice sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
*I do have a goal this year to make a new dish BY the recipe once a week, I've done pretty well so far.
**I haven't had a chance to really look hard for a good and different recipe, so I just made it up myself.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I wish I could be an impromptu cook. If you ever are in the neighborhood, there is a place south of Maryland on Arcade that has fab. sesame pork and it's not fried, battered, or coated in any crap. LOVE IT!
Post a Comment