Here are some facts, taken from the newsletter that you may find interesting...
Food Mile Facts
Just how far does most food travel? Most likely, much further than you realize.
- 10% of all fossil fuel energy consumption in the U.S. is due to food processing, transportation, storage and preparation.
- Processed food in the U.S. travels more than 1,300 miles on average to reach consumers.
- On average, produce travels more than 1,500 miles from the industrial farm to the plate.
- On average, an American meal usually consists of ingredients from five different countries.
- Typically, food spends 7-14 days in transit to reach American consumers (this alone would make me run to the farmers' market!!!)
- Smaller family-owned farms typically reinvest more into the local economy by purchasing goods and services available within their region, rather than through large bulk distributors outside the region.
Add all of this information to the fact that it is generally less expensive to shop at your local farmers' market than the large grocery store...among other really great reasons, like getting to know the farmers!
So with this...I challenge you...how local can you go???*Tonight we had gyro meat produced by the U of MN's meat lab (which was very good, I might add!), local cucumbers in the taziki sauce and local tomatoes on the side.
**I will be adding some of the recipes that we try out that use local foods as the month goes on, but I won't bore you with every meal we eat!


No comments:
Post a Comment