Friday, August 7, 2009

Make no beans about it...

making beans from their humble dried form is easier than...well, easy!

While I don't consider myself a novice cook, I've always been oddly intimidated by dried beans. The selection of dried beans is so awesome, not to mention very economical, but every time I made them, they never turned out. They were still really hard after hours of soaking and simmering on the stove to only dry out and burn, but still hard. A total disappointment.

So in an effort not only to eat local, but to also eat our pantry down, yesterday I looked a bag of dried pinto beans straight in the eye and opened it in an attempt to make beans! Now, I'm fairly sure that I've always looked at the bag before...but this time it had different directions/suggestions that I don't recall ever seeing (and grant it, I've never bought 10 lbs of beans at one time either). You can use your slow cooker to make the beans. WHAT?!??? I (think I) can do that!!!

After soaking the beans for 6 hours at room temperature (or 8 hours in the refrigerator) I put those bad boys in the crockpot, covered with about 1 inch of water, turned the sucker on low and let them do their thing for about 10 hours. Viola! BEANS that were neither hard, dry nor burned!

I hope this information not only expands your cooking knowledge and bean choices, but also your wallet with all of the money you will save!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oooo, thanks for the tip! Today I cleaned out our food storage room, and found an incredible amount of dry beans. They were intimidating. Now they are less so!

THE LETTS FAMILY said...

The wonderful fruit...