Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Killer Risotto

I like good risotto, but most of the time it ends up feeling very heavy and well...just...ugh. However, tonight's attempt was phenomenal!

I had it in my brain the other day when I picked up some lobster mushrooms and Chinese spinach at the farmers market that I would make risotto this week. I had some crimini mushrooms just hanging out in the fridge needing to be used...and I always dried mushrooms in my pantry...triple mushroom risotto with spinach! And because I like to try new ways of making things...I made this one vegan. Totally. Killer.



Triple Mushroom Risotto with Spinach

4 oz dried mushrooms (I did a combo of shitaki and king oyster mushrooms)
1 cup boiling water
2 - 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (I really like the low sodium veg broth from Trader Joe's...good flavor)
4-5 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
4-5 oz lobster mushrooms (or some other flavor...chicken of the woods would be very comparable), sliced
2 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, divided
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups cleaned and chopped spinach
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
1/4 cup Shao Xing cooking wine (or Sherry)
1 Tbsp dairy-free margarine (I use Earth Balance)
1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast

1. In a small bowl, combine the boiling water with the dried mushrooms, and let them soak, uncovered for 30 minutes. Drain 1/2 cup of the mushroom broth into a liquid measuring cup and add the vegetable broth, take out 1/2 of the soaked mushrooms, finely dice and set aside (keep the rest for another time). Heat the veg broth to a simmer (I do it in the microwave)

2. In a small bowl, toss the spinach, lemon juice and salt. Set aside.

3. In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 T. of the coconut oil. Add the chopped garlic and onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender and translucent, but not browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes more. Add the remaining 1 T. of coconut oil and the rice, and, stirring constantly, cook until the rice is evenly coated and sounds like crispy rice cereal in the pan, making snapping and popping noises, about 4 minutes. Add the Shao Xing, stirring constantly, until all of the liquid is completely absorbed.

4. Pour about ¾ cup of the hot broth into the rice and cook, continuing to stir, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Continue to add the broth in ¾-cup increments, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before another addition, until the rice is translucent around the edges but still solid in the middle and the rice is of a creamy consistency, about 20 minutes.

5. Add the spinach and cook for just about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, or until the spinach is wilted and bright green. Stir in the dairy-free soy margarine and nutritional yeast. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

SO GOOD!

*I found this recipe online and modified it...of course.

1 comment:

Aiden and Grant's Mommy said...

Dear God/ A) that looks phenominal. B) I have never heard of half those ingredients let alone have them in my pantry!! You're simply amazing!