We finally saw Blood Diamond* and I have to say I am forever changed. While I know it's a movie, that doesn't diminish the fact that a beautiful sparkling stone that has been ingrained in us to "love" since small children has lost it's luster for me.
To say I'm disgusted doesn't even hit the tip of the iceberg. I sat there saying "I don't get it." "I just don't get it." There is a lot of senseless killing that has taken place in history, but I think this might be the worst. I can't even begin to wrap my brain around it. I'd heard of "conflict diamonds" before, but never really understood the impact of it...shame on me.
The Kimberley Process sounds like a step in the right direction...but it's also just suggestion, and not a code.** It's self-enforced. Do the people that buy your diamonds really have the best interest of the people living in that area, or are they in it for the mark-up value, the profit? It does make one wonder, and it would weigh heavily on me.
Never again do I want another diamond.*** If you see a diamond on me, you will know it's one of two things...it's either 1. old OR 2. CZ, you don't need to ask.
*I had been on the very long waiting list at the library, and when it finally came up we just had gotten back from China with CiBaby...aaaah, I think not.
**As stated in the Pirates of the Caribbean.
***This is not to say that I won't wear the few that I have, but I will always wonder how my diamond made it to my body. T-Daddy was happy to hear it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment