Thursday, February 5, 2009

Decorating Sense - give me your opinion!

Rarely do I ask for opinions here...I just give you mine. Kidding!

We are currently in the throws of our new and 2nd bathroom being completed and I've come to a crossroads...We have the tile, I designed the layout, but now...what color for the walls?

I've had a vision for a long time that I wanted this bathroom to feel like an oasis, a natural, organic like spa (as opposed to the stark white, sterile ones). Our fixtures are all white and the hardware is a brushed nickle. I also envision a dark wood piece as storage and some accents and of course, luxurious white towels, the kind where you could get lost as they are so thick and fluffy.

To get an idea of the amount of color in the room, the tiles below are used as such. Far left, is an accent border. The middle tile is the "field" tile, so this takes up most of the space, and the far right, the rocks are the "river" that runs through it.

So, I ask you...based on the tiles you see and the information above...What color for the walls?


Also, here is a sneak peek of the design, partially completed.

8 comments:

Wecare4much said...

Cool design! I think I'd pick a color you love in the rocks and go from there.

Kelly said...

Wow Rena, did you say you were a interior designer? I think you should go with a darker shade of the blue. To keep the tranquil spa feel, I think darker is warmer. With the tile and dark brown molding, a brown migh be too much. I can't wait to see your bathroon when it is finished.

CzaMama said...

Hehe, no...I'm just one of those people that create a migraine in the contractor's brain..."you want to do what???" hehehe.

I haven't settled on a color yet, but I did find a rich caramel color that looks beautiful with all of the tiles and the dark brown molding. I might have to go back and really look at the blues, but none of them really spoke to me...yet.

Mama J said...

My gut says go with a warm earthy color, but my initial reaction said blue. Just because the tile and the rocks are very grounding and I thought a blue would be airy and almost sky-like.

You are going to pick great colors! Trust yourself!

THE LETTS FAMILY said...

I don't think you want to add another color in there or contrast it too much. I'd love to come over and look at it, but I'm thinking a pale yellow. Like a color a shade lighter than the tiles (they look yellowish on here). That way it flows, it's peaceful, no contrast. If that's too much yellow, I would do a real pale blue/green... like mud mask blue.

Darla said...

My gut reaction is the tranquil blue present in the stones. You have much warmth already. Blue would add a cool and "water" element. Still stumped? I'd consult a feng shui book. It's looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I think the blue-green in the stones is a nice choice for a spa-like feel in general... However, the snapshot you shared of the tile surrounding the tub changed my mind. It seems to call for something in the warm yellows category. I think the rich caramel you mentioned would be just the thing! The colors in the accents are going to contrast with the field tile... the result could be really neat or kinda jarring. So far, it looks beautiful, Rena!

CzaMama said...

The bathroom is almost done...I can't wait to show y'all! Just a few touch ups and then we'll have to add accessories later as we find them.