Friday, March 27, 2009

Whose job?

This is a question that I have been going over in my mind all day today: Whose job is it to introduce people who do not know one another at a private function...the people themselves or the host?

I have my thoughts on the matter, but I'm curious to hear what others think. It the fault of the guests or the host when people do not get formally introduced? Is it upbringing or a regional/cultural thing? What does etiquette say?

9 comments:

Wecare4much said...

I think it's the hosts responsibility. I'm a relatively shy person who is blessed to have a gregarious husband who jumps right in and introduces himself when he wants to get to know people.

THE LETTS FAMILY said...

I think it's the host's responsibility, too. I have to say, though, the older I get, the worse I am about doing it. I must think that everybody who knows J & I, must know each other by now.

Janine said...

Def the Host. One would assume she knows everyone!

Janice said...

I would have to agree that it is up to the host. However, if a host is busy, or the set up is a tad crazy, I try to reach out and introduce myself. That being said, I would still hope the host would then come through and reintroduce or introduce those that may have been missed.

CzaMama said...

This is what I think as well, it's up to the host...and I royally screwed up the other day (it was one of those crazy times, as Janice said) and feel awful about it.

auntie said...

I agree with Janice, However! there is an exception to every RULE! Sometimes it just happens,let it go. And don't be afraid to introduce yourself.

PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself: I'm JoDASHAnn...

Don't worry about it, sweetie. I am quite sure your guests understand.

Clare said...

Any guest is perfectly capable of saying, "I'm Blank and this is my child Junior." Sheesh. It's more upsetting when adults who know how to talk to adults are socially clueless.

Any adult should be able to introduce themselves, but this is a skill sorely lacking. Why wait for the host to do something you can do yourself? Would I expect the host to make me shake my hands too?

Amy Jo said...

I would say it is up to the host in general. However, we are all adults so I think if it doesn't go down like that for whatever reason we can introduce ourselves. If we aren't comfortable doing that, no harm, but no reason to upset with the host.