Do you ever ask yourself that question? "Is doing X going to make any difference in the world?"
Since adopting CiBaby I have been on two different adoption panels, each time with CiBaby (that's who the audience really wants to see), July 2008 was without T-Daddy and the most recent, October 2008, was with him . The second one I feel was successful in that not only did we meet some really neat people who are now consider friends, but that people seemed to be really engaged and were asking questions.
But the first. The first one is the one I struggled with. I was a little nervous. Not so much as to what I was going to say, but the fact that I was there alone with CiBaby. I worried about what would happen if she was uncomfortable sitting in front of a bunch of strangers staring at her. If she fussed, what would I do? Take her out myself, since there was no way on God's green earth that she would go into a playroom without me?! But she did great...or at least there was snacks to keep her occupied.
And what was I going to dress her in? We always saw people dressing their children up in really cute outfits, a perfectly groomed little Asian girl in a pretty dress with hair all done....but reality is not so. Reality is not always picture perfect. And although we had the outfits...outfits galore...I opted to put her in some fairly everyday clothes, clothing I knew she would be comfortable in as it was familiar.
While everything went fine, no one in the audience asked any questions. We were kind of the odd-family-out as we were the only ones that had adopted a Waiting International Child, so we didn't necessarily hit some radars...still no questions of anyone. All of this took a chunk of time, mentally and physically, and that left me wondering...was this worth the time? Was everyone so drained from the class, and it was such a beautiful Friday afternoon in July, people wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible?
Not until today, over a year later, was my question answered. We went to a function for adoptive families through T-Daddy's work and not long after arriving, a woman, whom I've never met, stopped to talk to me. Apparently she was in that first class where I spoke. She told me "thank you" that apparently some things I said made a difference and helped them get to the point they are at in their adoption.
So while a lot of things that come out of our mouths are inconsequential to the masses, we occasionally, and unknowingly, say things to people that hit home and make a difference in their lives. And I guess not all of our cosmic questions can be answered all of the time, but sometimes they are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Rena, this post left me with tears. Darn you! I have always believed that there is a reason for everything. Sometimes (most times) we never know why, but sometimes (like this time for you) we do see why. It is a good feeling to know that you made a difference for someone, even for just one person. You do make a difference in people's lives, especially mine.
We were so glad you all were at the panel in October, you all were so helpful in answering our questions (yes Ci-Baby as well). We both left there feeling really good about our decision to adopt. We too noticed how quickly the room empted on that Friday, I believe as well that part was the beautiful weather, and part was being perhaps a bit overwhelmed with all they all had learned over past two days. We feel that speaking with you was what helped to get our feet on the ground. You made us feel that with all the steps ahead of us (which felt never ending) in the end our daughter too would bring us as much joy as Ci-Baby has brought your lives.
Jeremy & Jessica
Mine too!!! You did good kid!
What a great story! For information, what is the waiting child program?
You did good kid just about sums it up. I think you help many families almost everyday from the way you parent, to the examples you set, to the "Switzerland" personality. I am positive you have helped many children find fantastic families. I love that you volunteer for these panels. Keep up the good work!
Leah
Great question, Darla!
The Waiting International Children (WIC) program is basically a program where children have been identified in a "high risk" category and harder to adopt out. A lot of times in this program you see children with medical or special needs, could be older, and/or sibling groups.
How this differs from the "regular" program...The best way to discribe how the process works is it is like a "deli counter" vs. self-service. At the deli you stand in line, get your number and wait until your number is called...and while there may be more than one option you (generally) go with the one offered to you.
The WIC program, on the other hand...you choose your children (or they are offered to you through your agency) based on your qualifiers/needs/wants. And while we all hope that we could deal with whatever was dealt to us, in this case we can set our threshold on what we are capable of, and they work off of that to find a great fit for the child and the family.
I hope that makes sense. If you'd like to discuss it in greater deepth, let me know. I love talking about the WIC program as I now couldn't imagine doing it any other way.
Post a Comment