So much of what we do is decided for us, like the age you can start driving (15 with a permit, 16 with a license...at least on the tundra, but not a farm), buy cigarettes, vote, join the military, drink (at least legally), and get a better insurance rate...but what about other things? Being a girl I think of wearing make-up, dating and getting your ears pierced.
When I was young I was in dance, shocker, I know. Make-up was no big deal as you got to get "dolled-up" for recitals. I don't recall ever being told that I could not date until I was X age,* but ears pierced...here's where an age came for me. I had to be 13. Why 13? I have no idea.**
Why do I bring this up? What made me start thinking about this? This morning, at 4:40 AM our soon-to-be granddaughter*** was dropped off on her mom's (C) way to work. Half asleep she hands me a bottle of stuff to clean GD's ears and said that GD had been begging for them, and C was having a weak moment, and that she knew that CiBaby couldn't have them. That snapped me awake. Not so much the part about CiBaby not being able to get them, 'cause if she wants her ear(s)**** pierced, in time, be my guest...but the age. I know culturally things are all over the map, but my question became...what is the magic age? 13? Younger? Older? It just had me thinking...What age will we choose to make the magic age?
*I know some people have that rule. Heck, CiBaby isn't going to date until she's at least 25...if I have my way.
**I'll have to ask G-Mama and Bopa, maybe they have an answer, or maybe they just thought it sounded good.
***That's a blog post for another day!
****Prosthetic ears, if we/she decides to go that route, can be pierced as well. They really are a thing of art!
When I was young I was in dance, shocker, I know. Make-up was no big deal as you got to get "dolled-up" for recitals. I don't recall ever being told that I could not date until I was X age,* but ears pierced...here's where an age came for me. I had to be 13. Why 13? I have no idea.**
Why do I bring this up? What made me start thinking about this? This morning, at 4:40 AM our soon-to-be granddaughter*** was dropped off on her mom's (C) way to work. Half asleep she hands me a bottle of stuff to clean GD's ears and said that GD had been begging for them, and C was having a weak moment, and that she knew that CiBaby couldn't have them. That snapped me awake. Not so much the part about CiBaby not being able to get them, 'cause if she wants her ear(s)**** pierced, in time, be my guest...but the age. I know culturally things are all over the map, but my question became...what is the magic age? 13? Younger? Older? It just had me thinking...What age will we choose to make the magic age?
*I know some people have that rule. Heck, CiBaby isn't going to date until she's at least 25...if I have my way.
**I'll have to ask G-Mama and Bopa, maybe they have an answer, or maybe they just thought it sounded good.
***That's a blog post for another day!
****Prosthetic ears, if we/she decides to go that route, can be pierced as well. They really are a thing of art!


1 comment:
Good question! My "magic age" was 10 1/2. Why the extra 1/2, who knows. Maybe because you are three years older than me and I started asking for them when you got them?! Classic "younger sister" gets everything earlier! ;)
Post a Comment