Sunday, December 21, 2008

A valuable, and expensive, lesson.

Last night, we spent a very fun evening with our friends, the Kippsters. It was a late night of fun and frolic and we didn't get home until 10:30 PM...it was -6F outside. Upon entering the house I noticed right away that it was really quite cold inside. T-Daddy went to check the thermostat and it read 58F...and dropping.

It had been several years since I had to get the pilot light started.* So after trying, unsuccessfully, to get the furnace started a couple of times myself I called the heating company we use. The guy came out, was down there for a bit with T-Daddy and then, after cleaning the fuse filter and still being unsuccessful, I heard laughter. Apparently CiBaby had turned the gas off to the furnace yesterday when Bopa and Uncle Horsey were here and they were all in the basement. That was a good lesson learned, although I'm not sure it was worth $129!**

*It's a newer furnace that you're not suppose to go anywhere near it with a match to light it.
**He didn't charge us for the fuse filter cleaning, since that wasn't the problem!
Note: T-Daddy felt much better about the money spent since it took the repair guy quite awhile to figure out the gas was turned off.

2 comments:

Aiden and Grant's Mommy said...

LOL!!!
Aid turned off the heat at my in laws and switched it to the AC!
2 year olds!!!!

Muganoot Mommy said...

We had the same thing happen at our house once! Fortunately, we had a service contract so it didn't cost us anything, but I promise it's the FIRST thing we look for now when the furnace won't come on!