Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Growing Challenge - 2 flats down

a million more to go

(one of the very lonely flats in my dishevelled growing room)

Okay not a million but at the rate I'm going it sure feels like it! Thankfully CiBaby has been exhausted after lunch the past couple of days, giving me a wee bit of time to throw some seeds into the soil.


The Growing Challenge, started by Melinda at Elements in Time: Creating Edible Landscaping, has taken over my growing room and has pushed my rear in gear to get back into starting the vast majority of my veggie and herb garden from seed. The challenge is to grow at least one new thing from seed than I did last year (which won't be hard since I copped out and bought most things last year). But if I follow the "rules" I need to grow something I've never grown before, which is a challenge for this gardener as I've grown a lot, and a lot of it from seed. And remember, I live in the city, with a typical city lot.

My garden usually starts out neat and tidy, but doesn't end that way.

beginning:
end:
(I work to eek out every last possible inch by using inter-planting methods. I've even started encroaching on the flowerbeds in the front!)

This years list includes: (* denotes a new item or variety)

Tomatoes (which CiBaby loves - just like her Mama!):
Black from Tula*
Big Rainbow
Long Tom*
Bloody Butcher
Mortgage Lifter
Green Zebra
Mexico Midgets
Christmas Grapes
Green Grapes

Peppers:
King of the North*
Jimmy Nardello's
Holy Mole

Eggplant:
Listada de Gandia
Bambino

The rest of my planting list is to come, as I plant it!

Prior to planting these 2 flats, I had the gardening itch really bad and I'm trying my hand at growing a few items (and possibly adding more) in the growing room only.

from bottom left: looseleaf lettuce, cress*, mache*, watermelon radish*

1 comment:

Hippy Goodwife said...

Hooray! I am so glad you signed on! My poor quinoa is waiting to go in the ground, but it is snowing here today. again! My scarlet runners are taking over the kitchen.