Monday, June 23, 2008

Minnehaha Falls


*This history/geography lesson is thanks to Wikipedia.

Minnehaha Creek is a tributary of the Mississippi River located in Hennepin County, Minnesota that extends from Lake Minnetonka in the west and flows east for 22 miles (35 km) through several suburbs west of Minneapolis and then through south Minneapolis. Including Lake Minnetonka, the watershed for the creek covers 181 square miles (469 km²). The creek might have been unremarkable except for the 53 foot (16 m) Minnehaha Falls located near the creek's confluence with the Mississippi. The site is not far from Fort Snelling, one of the earliest white settlements in the region.

While the name is often translated as "Laughing Water", the correct translation is "curling water" or "waterfall". The name comes from the Dakota language elements mni, meaning water, and ȟaȟa, meaning waterfall.[1][2] Thus the expression "Minnehaha Falls" translates as "Waterfall Falls". The "Laughing Water" translation comes from Mary Eastman's book Dacotah, published in 1849. On the Fort map of 1823, the falls were named Brown's Falls, in honor of United States Army commander Jacob Brown, who was commander-in-chief of the army since 1814.[3] The Dakota called Minnehaha Creek, "Wakpa Cistinna", meaning "Little River".[2]


Today CiBaby and I went off with our buddies to Minnehaha park and falls, which was really roaring today (as pictured above). Here we are in all of our glory...it was a beautiful day!

Afterwards CiBaby and I copped a spot at Sea Salt Eatery just before the lunch rush and had a lovely mother/daughter lunch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking such wonderful pictures today! It was a perfect summer morning and I coulnd't have spent it with better people.

Love ya,
Angie

Suzy said...

Oh, I grew up hearing about Mennehaha Falls but never made it there (just a little too far from home). Thanks for the great pictures and history. A morning with friends is great and the icing was your mother/daughter lunch!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures Rena! I'm sorry I was cranky and not feeling well! Was the Sea Salt yummy? Expensive?

CzaMama said...

Ditto Angie!

Karen, think nothing of it. I know what you're going through. Sea Salt was delish! Lexa and I shared a fried fish basket and she gobbled it up. The prices are reasonable and vary depending on what you are looking for.