Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Why can't we all just get along?

This pains me to post this, but I feel it necessary.

I recently* found out that during the very fun Dragon Festival, some very hateful people defaced a beautiful sculpture with very racist remarks and symbols at the very same park.


Why?

Why would someone hate someone else so much just based on the color of their skin? Aren't we really all the same? We're all daughters, sons, sisters, brothers, mothers and fathers, who laugh, cry, live and love.

Why?

Is it a superiority complex? Get over yourself, you're not that great.

I don't understand.

I weep at the thought that someone could hate my beautiful daughter so much as to call her such ugly names, or worse. I weep for all of those before me that have had to ask themselves the very same question...Why?

So for those who think we've come too far in race relations to think that hate crimes don't still exist...or "not here," think again.

*Yes, I keep myself in a news bubble. Why bring yourself down with all of the bad that's reported? The media needs to find the good out there too.

7 comments:

THE LETTS FAMILY said...

That makes me SO sad. I hate seeing those types of things, especially when we are exactly 3 months away from the election!

Aiden and Grant's Mommy said...

And after such a good event....is it still up like that? It's heartbreaking really...

CzaMama said...

Yes. They have to raise the money needed to clean it.

I was wondering how in the world I didn't see this, seeing as how we were there both days. Come to find they'd covered it with a tarp before the second day started. I vaguely recall a large tarped blop on Sunday.

So very sad.

lisa said...

that's just awful :(

~Steph said...

That is terrible!!

My sister is Korean, and when she was little, we lived in a few different towns that were almost 100%% Caucasian. As a result, she had to endure some teasing and name calling (I defended her when I knew about it).

I guess I thought that being in "the Cities" now, people are more tolerant and accepting of others... Guess I was just naive. :(

Let's Talk About Our Day said...

Wow. That sucks!

Anonymous said...

Things like this really put a pit in my stomach to the point where I wish I never saw it. But we can't live with our head in the sand; this is where we are in 2008 in America. Ugh.